Gay Tedder is a partner in the Litigation Department of Hughes Hubbard & Reed. With deep experience in all aspects of large-scale multi-defendant products liability cases in state and federal courts throughout the country, Ms. Tedder works closely with clients to determine their desired outcomes and structuring a strategy to meet them.
An active trial lawyer, she has litigated and served as trial counsel in numerous trials over the last 25 years. Most recently she has served as litigation and trial counsel in various Engle progeny tobacco cases in the state of Florida. Ms. Tedder also has experience handling various other types of civil matters including personal injury, employment law, medical malpractice, administrative and commercial litigation and has argued numerous appeals before the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals. Ms. Tedder is a member of Hughes Hubbard’s Diversity Task Force and is involved in the firm’s Pro Bono efforts. Her Pro Bono work includes work on the Midwest Innocence Project and working with the Volunteer Attorney Project to obtain divorces for victims of domestic abuse.
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Member, The American Bar Association
- Member, The Defense Research Institute
- Former DRI Missouri State Representative (2013)
- Past Vice Chair, The DRI Women in the Courtroom Committee (2008–2009)
- Committee Member, The DRI Trial Tactics Committee
- Past Editor, The DRI Trials and Tribulations Newsletter (2006–2007)
- Former Member, The Association of Defense Trial Attorneys
- Former Member, The Board of Directors of the Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers (2006–2012)
- Teaching Faculty: Trial Academy: Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers (2004–2009)
- Partner at Shook, Hardy & Bacon, L.L.P.
- Assistant U.S. Attorney, Western District of Missouri
- Missouri Super Lawyer, 2005–2012
- Speaker: “Preparing Your 30(b)(6) Witness,” Kansas Women Attorneys Association, Bethany College, Lindsborg, Kansas, July 17, 2015
- Speaker: “Company and Employee Witnesses: Selection, Preparation and Privilege”, Association of Corporate Counsel, Mid-America Chapter, Kansas City, Missouri, November 12, 2014
- Speaker: “Voir Dire: The Art of Deselection”, Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP, New York, New York, June 20, 2012
- Speaker: “Altria 2010 Diversity Roundtable”, Richmond, Virginia, June 16, 2010.
- Speaker: “Discovery in Complex Cases”, Advanced Trial Skills: MODL/MATA Judicial Trial College, Lake Ozark, Missouri, April 29, 2010
- Speaker: “State Attorney General Actions”, Defense Research Institute, Annual Meeting, New Orleans Louisiana, October 24, 2008
- Speaker: “Diversity: Retaining Women in Law”, South Dakota Bar Association, Rapid City, South Dakota, June 19, 2008
- Speaker: “Mentoring and Professional Development for Woman in Law”, Defense Research Institute, Young Lawyers Networking Luncheon, Orlando, Florida, June 6, 2008
- Moderator: “Mastering the Art of Taking and Defending Effective Depositions”, The Missouri Bar, Kansas City, Missouri, February 15, 2008
- Moderator and Speaker: “Retention of Top Female Litigators”, Defense Research Institute, Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C., October 11, 2007
- Speaker: “Jury Research: A Primer”, Shook Hardy & Bacon, LLP, Kansas City, Missouri, January 16, 2004
- Missouri State Courts
- Florida State Courts
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit