James Berger is a partner in the Litigation Department of Hughes Hubbard & Reed with particular focus on litigation involving complex legal and scientific issues. His national practice concentrates on product liability and premises liability claims and includes experience in tobacco, asbestos, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and chemical exposures. Mr. Berger has both trial and appellate experience, and has been national counsel responsible for all aspects of complex litigation in multiple state and federal courts throughout the country, including jurisdictions recognized as particularly plaintiff-friendly. He has also handled appellate work in multiple states and before the Eighth Circuit, where he began his career as a law clerk.
- Member, Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- Member, The Eighth Circuit Bar Association
- Member, The Defense Research Institute
- Law Clerk, the Hon. Roger L. Wollman, United States Circuit Judge for the Eighth Circuit – 1996-1997
- Staff Attorney, United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit – 1994-1996
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit