Marc Weinstein is a partner in the Criminal and Regulatory Defense and Investigations, Securities Fraud Litigation, and Professional Liability Groups.
Mr. Weinstein has represented both corporate and individual clients at all stages of proceedings with federal and state law enforcement authorities and numerous regulatory agencies including the SEC, CFTC, and PCAOB. Mr. Weinstein recently negotiated a Deferred Prosecution Agreement for a foreign corporate client in a complex and long-standing FCPA matter, secured a $100 million judgment for a large financial institution, and obtained a favorable settlement with the SEC on behalf of a hedge fund portfolio manager. Mr. Weinstein was recently ranked by Chambers USA 2012 as a leading lawyer in White Collar Crime & Government Investigations. Mr. Weinstein honed his trial skills while serving as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Southern District of New York for more than eight years, during which he was the Chief of the Major Crimes Unit, a member of the Securities and Commodities Fraud Task Force, and a founding member of the computer hacking and intellectual property crimes unit. In his role as Chief of the Major Crimes Unit, Mr. Weinstein supervised the prosecution of complex white collar offenses, including investment fraud, violations of the FCPA, health care fraud, computer crimes, and tax and money laundering offenses.
- Assistant United States Attorney, United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, 1998-2007
- Federal prosecutor with extensive trial experience in complex financial crimes. Served as Co-Chief of Major Crimes Unit, supervising prosecution of corporate, FCPA, computer, health care, insurance, intellectual property, money laundering, and tax offenses. As member of the Securities and Commodities Fraud Unit, prosecuted numerous cases in financial markets, including nation’s largest undercover operation in foreign currency markets, as well as market manipulation and accounting fraud. Briefed and argued numerous appeals before the Second Circuit.
- Law Clerk, Honorable Mary Johnson Lowe, United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, 1996-1998
- Member, Board of Directors of the Fund for Modern Courts
- Recipient of Department of Justice’s John Marshall Award for Outstanding Legal Achievement for Asset Forfeiture.
- Ranked by Chambers USA as one of the leading White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations lawyers in the United States.
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit