The Right Work-Life Balance
Hughes Hubbard recognizes the challenges that many attorneys face in trying to balance their professional lives and family and other personal responsibilities. We support our attorneys in meeting these challenges because it promotes job satisfaction and retention of a diverse work force. In some cases, this means non-traditional work arrangements. We also offer a wide array of practical options and quality-of-life-enhancing programs and activities, including:
- Maternity leave: Hughes Hubbard provides mothers with three (3) months paid leave (which includes two weeks parental leave) after giving birth. Attorneys may also take any regularly accrued vacation time in conjunction with their maternity leave.
- Parental leave: Hughes Hubbard provides two (2) weeks paid parental leave to male and female attorneys for purposes of caring and nurturing a child after birth or adoption. In addition, attorneys may also take any regularly accrued vacation time in conjunction with their parental leave.
- Alternative Work Arrangements: Attorneys who demonstrate need have the option of adjusting their work schedules and time commitment to the firm. Such alternative work arrangements, which include reduced hours or workdays and/or telecommuting, are determined on an individual basis to suit the needs of the attorney, the firm and our clients. HHR is committed to the professional advancement of all attorneys, and accordingly, attorneys with flexible or part-time schedules remain on partnership track. As of December 2005, several attorneys have taken advantage of the alternative work arrangements offered by HHR. , Aviva Wernick and Jennifer Hecht are just a few of our attorneys on alternative schedules.
- Emergency childcare: We provide attorneys in the New York office with the option of emergency child care services through the Lipton Corporate Child Care Center. Such services are available up to a specified number of days per month, and are free of charge to the attorney. Emergency childcare is available for "well" children ages 3 months through 12 years when parents' normal child care arrangements are temporarily unavailable.
- Personal (non-medical) leave of absence: On a case-by-case basis, Hughes Hubbard permits attorneys to take unpaid leaves of absence for a variety of personal reasons.
- Domestic partner benefits: We recognize the importance of benefits for all committed relationships and, accordingly, provide medical benefits for same-sex partners.
- Health Club Membership Reimbursement Program: We recognize the importance of physical fitness for the general well-being of our attorneys, and, therefore, Hughes Hubbard provides 50% reimbursement for annual health club membership dues, up to a total of $500.
- Weekly Yoga Classes: Hughes Hubbard offers free Yoga classes twice a week for associates and partners at our New York office.
- Sports: We sponsor attorney and staff teams to compete in intramural sports, including baseball, basketball and volleyball. In addition, the firm holds an annual "Sports Day" in the summer for attorneys, summer associates, staff and alumni and their families.
- Annual Children's Holiday Party: Hughes Hubbard sponsors an annual holiday party for its employees and their children. The festivities include a visit from Santa Claus, arts and crafts and other entertainment. The 2005 party took as its theme "A Winter Wonderland." On hand to entertain the kids were Santa Claus, a trio of carolers, face painters and a magician.
- Employee Life Assistance Program: Hughes Hubbard has partnered with CIGNA to help attorneys and staff and members of their households reduce stress, balance their work and family responsibilities and improve the quality of their lives. The program, which encompasses everything from prenatal care to senior care, includes resources and referral services, online information and interactive tools - all for free and in total confidence, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.