Experience and depth are two of the attributes that make our qui tam defense team a powerhouse. Based in Hughes Hubbard’s New York and Washington, D.C. offices, our qui tam attorneys have represented clients in every phase of qui tam proceedings under the False Claims Act. Group members have experience in whistleblower cases involving government contracts, federal grants, military contractors and alleged health-care fraud.
A number of our qui tam defense attorneys have prior experience in the Department of Justice, where they handled qui tam actions for the U.S. Government. The background and perspective borne of prior governmental experience is invaluable in strategizing and executing a successful defense. In many of our cases, we have been able to obtain an order of dismissal at an early stage, thereby avoiding the cost and burden of proceeding through litigation to trial.
Examples of our most recent qui tam matters:
- National coordinating counsel for major pharmaceutical company in more than 20 consumer protection and false claims act cases brought by state and local governments concerning pharmaceutical pricing.
- Defense of government contractor in DOJ investigation for alleged financial fraud.
- Defense of Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company in DOJ investigation of alleged kickbacks paid to foreign doctors in exchange for prescription and medical benefits reimbursed under US health care programs.
- Defense of a medical group and individual physicians against claims of Medicare fraud.
- Defense of a not-for-profit corporation serving educational and cultural institutions in a whistleblower action brought under the False Claims Act involving federal grants.
- Defense of a major military contractor in an action brought by former employee whistleblowers under the False Claims Act.
- Action involving government contracts for the construction of cable-stay bridges.
For more information on this practice or to join our mailing list and receive future publications, please contact Susan Campbell